Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Good News: Awesome memories! - Bad News: Summer is ending...

Hey everyone!

I must say it is pretty sad to see that the summer is slowly but surely coming to an end. I was surely blessed with a wonderful summer thus far and I can be sure to say I did not waste a minute of it. I was fortunate enough to go on a missions trip just a few weeks back to the Gulf Coast where I was able to meet different families who had to live through Hurricane Katrina. It was quite sad to think that it is closing in on it's 3 year anniversary and there is still about 80% of work that still needs to be done. The one families home we got to work on was a rehab project where the father and his two sons have been living in a FEMA trailer for over 2 and half years! It just really makes you think how fortunate we have it up here where storms like that are a very rare occurrence.

Well, to turn to a fortunate note, there is a lot of progress being done and despite the damages, the locals seem to hold a pretty optimistic opinion about when everything will be completed. Some range between another 5-20 years, which is still quite a bit don't get me wrong, but it is better than people thinking it will never get done.

Well I suppose I will leave it at that for now. I still have to pack and get ready for our Leadership Conference at University Park tomorrow!

I hope everyone enjoys the last leg of their summer and I will speak to you all later!

God Bless!
Matt

No comments: